Things to do in Chamonix in Summer
Most people think of the Chamonix Valley as a winter ski resort - but there are actually more visitors here in the summer.
The lifts are open in summer to give access to the higher mountain playgrounds for walkers and mountain bikers alike.
Just some of the activities available...
- You can try tandem paragliding or learn to fly yourself on a local course
- You can thrill yourself mountain biking
- You can go hiking or climbing
- You can get wet white-water rafting or canyoning
- You can enjoy a relaxing game of golf or tennis
- You can climb Mont Blanc with a recommended high mountain guide
- You can walk the 170km Tour du Mont Blanc through Italy, Switzerland and France
Or you could just relax....
In summer, the streets of Les Houches are lined with flowers.
The sound of cow bells can be heard, and the days are usually long and hot, and the evenings sweet-scented and cool..
There are local farmers' markets, visiting circuses and carnivals, international climbing competitions, craft fayres, music and beer festivals.
There are host of places to visit, things to see... Such as
- Take the cable car up the Aiguille du Midi at 3842m
- Ride the rack and pinion train to see the Mer du Glace glacer and the Ice Grotto via the Montenvers Railway
- Journey on the Tramway du Mont Blanc
- Visit the Alpine Museum in Chamonix
- Visit the Foundation Pierre Gianada art gallery in Martigny
- Visit the Musée Montagnard in Les Houches
All in all, we aim to help you to have a wonderful holiday - whatever you choose to do.
What's on in Chamonix & Les Houches in 2014?
Fete de la Musique - Saturday 21st June
Vertical Km - Friday 27th June
Cross du Mont Blanc - Saturday 28th June
Marathon du Mont Blanc - Sunday 29th June
Chamonix Mountain Festival starts Sunday 29th June
Exhibition: Paragliding photos by Jerome Maupoint & Oliver Laugero at the Espace Tairraz from Sunday 23rd June to 16th November
Chamonix Yoga Festival - Friday 4th July to Sunday 6th more info
European Climbing Championships - Thursday 10th July to Saturday 12th
Speed final on Friday @ 21:00, Difficulty on Saturday 9pm followed by fireworks
Bastille Day Fireworks and Ball - Monday 14th July 22:15 approx, lac du Chavants, Les Houches.
Chamonix Adventure Festival. 7-10th July
Film and photography showings, exhibitions and courses more info
Tour des Fiz - 63km Sunday 27th July
CosmoJazz Festival - Monday 28th July to Sunday 3rd August
Free concerts at altitude.
Les Houches in Music - Sunday 3rd August.
Fete with live music all day.
Fete de Guides des Houches - Tuesday 13th August, Les Houches
18h Choir of the Guides, followed by a Film at the Espace Olca at 9pm.
Fete de Guides de Chamonix - Friday 15th August.
Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc - UTMB starts Friday 29th August at 16:30 more info
Trans-Savoie enduro mountain bike race arrives in Chamonix - Saturday 30th August more info
Tour du Mont Blanc Classic Car Rally Place du Mont Blanc Saturday 13-14th September
Combat des Reines - Cow fighting at the Bois du Bouchet from 10:30 - Sunday 21st September
Trail des Aiguilles Rouge - Sunday 28th September. more info